Collaboration and Accessibility Beat Feature Rich in Mind Mapping

March 26, 2008 9 Comments by maya

Mind Map ScreenshotMind mapping is a visual display of thoughts, tasks, resources and other information around a center idea or topic. I use it quite often in early stages of venture creation when many random thoughts run through my mind and I need a flexible container to hold them. Mind mapping is also very helpful for visual display of other unstructured data.

online-advertisng-space-small.jpgThis, for example, is a Map of the Online Advertising Space that I’ve prepared for a client that wanted to introduce a new product for Ad Networks and needed to understand the playing field. It was created with NovaMind, a very feature rich Mind Mapping software that produces great looking maps.

I have recently dropped NovaMind for Mind Meister, a more accessible application that also allows online collaboration. This is another step in my transition to becoming completely location independent. I will dedicate a post to the LIP (Location Independent Professionals) trend soon.

Mind Meister LogoBy accessible I mean first, the obvious, that Mind Meister is browser based rather than OS (Operating System) based. This means, you can work on your mind maps from any device that runs an internet browser. You are not bounded to your PC. The second level of accessibility, and this is were Mind Meister is different from other browser based Mind Mapping applications, is achieved by its implementation (via Ajax), which allows it to run with no additional browser plugins (such as Flash or Java). The benefits are that you can use any public computer where you will probably not be authorized to install plugins and that you can collaborate with anyone, without imposing specific system requirements.

Here’s a good Review of three Web-Based Mind Mapping Tools, that also covers Mind Meister and a good source about Mind Mapping Software in general. And here’s more about Mind Maps from Wikipedia.

9 Comments

1. Tom Humes
    9 years ago

Nice Site layout for your blog. I am looking forward to reading more from you.

Tom Humes

2. Avi Barliya
    9 years ago

Mayale,

Congratulations for the new blog.
    I already like all of your posts and definitely will watch that movie that you recommended.

About this post, I am interested in how links (or connections) are made. If I understand correctly you write down any word that comes to mind. But then, how is it all organized, clustered to subjects (colors), labeling the subjects, connecting them, etc. I believe that you have to do most of the work, but is there some kind of an automatic process that helps you see over the forest stuff that you may have missed?

Avi

3. Maya
    9 years ago

For the Online Advertising map above I went with category based nodes (parent) and sub nodes (child) and also added non-hierarchal links that describe which Ad Network has ownership connection with which.

For venture creation maps done in early stage there’s less order. One node can stand for competitors and others for resources, core values, related search keywords etc…

As for automation, the only features are those that help you order nodes in the space so they don’t cover each other (more of those offered by Nova Mind than by Mind Meister).

If someone uses more effective ways to order maps It’d be great if you can share it here.

4. Vic Gee
    9 years ago

For people who like mindmapping and want it free, I’ve just pulled together in one place the details of all of the web-based ones, over at

This shows what’s free (and how much the subscriptions are for the others), what can import and export MindManager and FreeMind maps and, of course, where to find them. They let you collaborate with others when making a mindmap, as well.

MindMeister is there, of course, but so are many more.

Vic
    The master list of mind mapping &
    information management software

5. Maya
    9 years ago

This little web application turns ever topic in Wikipedia to a mind map. Very cool: http://www.wikimindmap.com/

6. Maya
    9 years ago

For my HE speaking readers, here’s a link to a good article about mind mapping in Hebrew: http://sideshow.co.il/?p=320

7. Assaf
    9 years ago

I love this tool. I’ve used minmapping before but having an online OS dependent solution is a true joy

Assaf

8. Maya
    9 years ago

Here’s a great Mind Map of Corporate Connections by Zohar Manor-Abel. It can be downloaded here in full size: http://flickr.com/photos/zoharma/97214235/sizes/o/

9. home theater equipment
    4 years ago

What’s up all, here every person is sharing these kinds of know-how, thus it’s nice to read this
    webpage, and I used to visit this webpage daily.